Supplements For A Healthier Immune System
Global Pet Foods, Dec 11, 2018
By Brittany McFaul
A common misconception is that our pets only need supplements if they’re on a raw food diet or if they have a chronic health condition.
This couldn’t be farther from the truth!
Supplements are very important to the health of our furry family members. Even pets on a high-quality nutritious diet could be lacking the essential nutrients they need to stay healthy.
There are many things pets experience daily that stress their body, deplete their immune system and even kill beneficial gut bacteria. Additionally, many natural resources are so depleted of nutrition that most pets are deficient in essential nutrients, which can lead to long term health risks.
The most common and needed supplements to help our pets thrive are:
- Immunity Support
- Digestive Support
- Mobility Support
- Skin & Coat Support
This post will focus on Immunity Support.
Next to digestive system, the immune system plays the second most important role in maintaining your pet’s health.
The Immune System protects pets’ bodies from disease, foreign invaders, bad bacteria and infectious organisms. As one of the largest, most complex, and hardest working systems, it has many stressors that can deplete it. These include things like poor diet, toxins, synthesized nutrients, over vaccination, free radicals (created by aging and oxidation inside the body), depleted gut flora, environmental stressors, and even general aches and pains.
5 Ways To Support Your Pets Immune System
- Antioxidants: They fight Free Radicals and repair and prevent damage. They protect cell membranes and prevent disease-causing cellular DNA mutations.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamins A, B, C, D and E, Iron, Zinc, Selenium, Copper and Manganese are all essential nutrients that support the immune system.
- Amino Acids: They are the building blocks of the body and work to improve immune function. Amino Acids are found in proteins necessary for many everyday bodily functions.
- Enzymes/Probiotics: 80% of the Immune System is located in the gut. That means a stronger digestive system supports a stronger immune system. Enzymes and probiotics help the body digest food, absorb nutrients, and protect the digestive tract from harmful organisms.
- Omega Oils/Fatty Acids: They support the bodies natural anti-inflammatory response. Inflammation occurs when the immune system fights germs and bacteria. Left untreated, inflammation can build up in the body and cause long term health issues.
4 Foods That Support Your Pet’s Immune System
- Kelp, Spirulina or Phytoplankton: These sea vegetables contain an array of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, enzymes, fatty acids and omega oils! They supply the body with natural, un-synthesized nutrients that are vital to immune function. With almost twice the amount of fatty acids as common fish oils, Phytoplankton is also an excellent source of one of the most powerful antioxidants available: Superoxide Dismutase.
- Turmeric is a great source of antioxidants and Vitamin C! Simply put, it’s one of the best super foods in the world for humans and pets alike. It can aid in digestion, reduce inflammation, detoxify the body, all while boosting the immune system.
- Organ meat is a great source of vitamins and minerals. Tripe, in particular (the stomach lining – usually from cattle) is a great source of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, omega oils, digestive enzymes and antioxidants.
- Hemp seed oil both provides fatty acids and boosts the natural production of fatty acids. Alternatively, Primrose oil is another great source of fatty acids.
If giving your pet a supplement every day is too much hassle, try this recipe:
BRITTANY’S SUPPLEMENT TREATS
Yield: 15 Treats
- Adored Beast Phyto Synergy Supplement (or desired supplement)
- Primal Goat Milk (or you can use canned tripe, goat milk, kefir, or bone broth)
- Ice cube tray
- Liquid measuring cup
- A toothpick for mixing
The “ice cube tray” I recommend is the Messy Mutts Dog Treat Maker in small. With 15 bone-shaped cubes it yields just over a two weeks of supplement treats.
- Portion out 1 day’s worth of the Adored Beast Phytosynergy into each cube. Phyto Synergy’s recommended dose is 1/16 teaspoon a day, the equivalent of one of their scoops found in pack.
- Measure out 15 ounces of the Primal Goats Milk into a liquid measure then fill each cube.
- Use the toothpick to gently mix the contents of each cube.
- Freeze over night.
- Give one treat to your pet every day.
Did your pet love this recipe?
Share your feedback and photos to be featured on our Social Media and blog.
Stay tuned for my next blog on the Digestive System and how to support it!